Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someone
BROOKLYN MEDIA GROUP/file photo
BROOKLYN MEDIA GROUP/file photo

In this photo, from the files of this newspaper, one of the area’s cinematic treasures, the RKO Dyker, is seen in its last days.

The photo, taken in 1975 during the run of “The Outer Space Connection,” evokes that period, thanks to the presence of now-vintage vehicles in front. The theater, which was located on 86th Street near Gelston Avenue, opened in November, 1926, according to the website Cinema Treasures, and became an RKO theater in 1928. It was shuttered just a little more than a half century after it first opened its doors in March, 1977, says Cinema Treasures, which cites the last film screened there as “The Domino Principle.”

Today, the space is occupied by Modell’s, and remnants of the theater including “the repainted auditorium ceiling, upper proscenium and upper side walls” can be seen on the upper level, Cinema Treasures reports.

Comments:

Join The Discussion

x


Related Stories
PHOTOS: St. Anselm’s Winter Wonderland a wondrous success
PHOTOS: St. Anselm’s Winter Wonderland a wondrous success
PHOTOS: Dyker Heights continues holiday cheer with annual 13th Avenue tree lighting
PHOTOS: Dyker Heights continues holiday cheer with annual 13th Avenue tree lighting
Popular Stories
Image via Mcyankee24 - Citizen
BREAKING UPDATE: No student with gun found at Fort Hamilton High School
Image courtesy of Google Maps
Man held at gunpoint and carjacked by six perps in Bath Beach area
Photo courtesy of Robin Shaud
Double trouble as second car drives onto 69th Street Pier
Skip to toolbar