Along with iconic New York sites like Times Square and the Brooklyn Bridge, Coney Island, a peninsula on the Atlantic Ocean coast of Brooklyn, is a name known around the world.
The origins of its name are less well known.
The indigenous Indians, who lived there well before any Europeans knew where it was, called it Narrioch, meaning “land without shadows,” since it seemed to have sunlight all day. The Dutch settlers of the 17th century had a different viewpoint. Because the island — and it was an island then — had many rabbits and rabbit hunting was common, the Dutch named it Conye Eylant, meaning “Rabbit Island.” It was anglicized to Coney Island when the English took over New Netherland in 1664.
Though there are other theories as to the origin of the name, this one seems most likely — and logical.
The area was originally part of Gravesend, chartered to an English baroness, Lady Deborah Moody, in 1645, when it encompassed not only Gravesend, but what is now Coney Island, Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach, Manhattan Beach and Gerritsen Beach. It was then pretty much farms and grazing land.
It started to become a popular seaside destination with the 1824 building of its first hotel, the Coney Island House (actually in what is now Sea Gate). There was further expansion in the 1870s when five railroads and two boulevards to the island were built, followed by the introduction of amusement park rides. There was the Ferris Wheel and the roller coaster; Steeplechase Park opened in 1897; then Luna Park, and in 1905, Dreamland Park.
Nathan’s hot dog stand opened in 1916 and the Boardwalk in 1923. Landfill in 1920 partially attached the island to mainland Brooklyn and that, along with extension of the subway that year, created Coney Island as “the nickel empire” — the cost of a subway ride at the time. The 260-foot Parachute Jump moved there from the 1939 World’s Fair, the last remaining relic of Steeplechase Park.
Coney Island faced a serious decline after World War II as well as in later years, but there has been a revival recently, beginning with the building of MCU Park, the home of the Brooklyn Cyclones minor league baseball team. MCU Park, opened June 25, 2001, was built on the site of the former Steeplechase Park, which closed in 1964, and is located just beyond the right field wall. Originally named KeySpan Park, it was renamed MCU Park in 2010.
Brooklyn-born Norm Goldstein is retired, after working 44 years for the Associated Press, the global news agency, where he served as a reporter, feature writer, editor, author and administrator. He also worked for AP as director of Educational Services and editor of the AP Stylebook. He graduated from Brooklyn College and the Penn State Graduate School of Journalism. He currently lives in Brooklyn Heights.