In recognition of March being Women’s History Month, 33 Extraordinary Women will be honored for their accomplishments in their careers and their service to the communities in which they live and serve.
To mark this occasion a huge calendar will be placed in the lobby of 350 Jay Street for the month of March, with each day dedicated to one of the extraordinary women nominated by Brooklyn residents. One day will be dedicated to a mother/daughter team, and the 33rd honoree, Bernice Elizabeth Green, will be recognized with a special DA’s Choice Award.
The women will be acknowledged at the seventh annual ceremony on March 21 at 6 p.m. at the Kings County Supreme Court located at 320 Jay Street. Each woman has a remarkable life story and exceptional strength of character.
They all serve as role models due to their selflessness, dedication and compassion. They give back to their community driven by the sole motivation to make life better for others in their community. These select women are being recognized for their outstanding contributions to the people of Brooklyn.
The Extraordinary Women 2013 Calendar and bios can be found at the following web address: http://www.brooklynda.org/exwm/exwm2013/Extraordinary_Women2013.htm
Some of Brooklyn’s Extraordinary Women include a woman who works with children and young adults with developmental disabilities while spending many nights and weekends watching over sick children.
Another woman directs a support group for sex abuse victims. There is an honoree that runs an organization whose goal is to improve the quality of life in her neighborhood. She also set up a scholarship program and a summer camp program for youth in her community. Another Extraordinary Woman is a local newspaper publisher who is active in various community-building projects.
The 33 Brooklyn Extraordinary Women, Class of 2013, are:
- Arlene Rutuelo (Bay Ridge),
- Cynthia Gonzalez (Sunset Park/Carroll Gardens),
- Donna Mae DePola (Sunset Park),
- Brandon Holley (Red Hook),
- Jill Eisenhard (Clinton Hill),
- Carolyn Walton (Canarsie),
- Rev. Suzie Elliott (Bushwick),
- Sophia Dawson (East Flatbush),
- Arlene Figaro (Bensonhurst),
- Tracy Wilkins-Dickerson (Fort Greene),
- Bella Gubenko (Brighton Beach),
- Florence Hutner (Park Slope),
- Linda Allegretti (Bay Ridge),
- Joan Indart-Etienne (Sheepshead Bay),
- Sharon Ifé Charles (Crown Heights),
- Joan Alexander-Bakiriddin (East Flatbush),
- Karen Tadross (Bay Ridge),
- Hafida Torres Balailoui (Bensonhurst),
- Sister Janet J. Kinney (Bedford Stuyvesant),
- Amanda Haught and Lourdes Rivera-Putz (Sunset Park/Williamsburg),
- Yvette Carol Barrow (East Flatbush),
- Claudia Yvette Cochran (Ocean Hill),
- Catharine Hough (Park Slope),
- Devorah Halberstam (Crown Heights),
- Deborah Pointer (East Flatbush),
- Jacqueline Budansky (Sheepshead Bay),
- Batsheva Gutwirth (Midwood),
- June B. Rodrigues (Ditmas Park/Flatbush),
- Delissa Reynolds (Prospect Heights),
- Anne Rascon (Williamsburg),
- Irena Yurieva (Sheepshead Bay), and
- Bernice Elizabeth Green (Bedford Stuyvesant).