From the MTA:
On Monday, April 15, MTA New York City Transit brings FASTRACK back to the N, Q and R Broadway line. There will be no N, Q or R service at Manhattan stations from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. for four consecutive weeknights from Monday, April 15 to early Friday morning, April 19.
- N trains run in Queens and Brooklyn only.
- Q trains run in Brooklyn and are rerouted via the D line in Manhattan.
- R service ends early in Manhattan and Queens each night. (R shuttle service between 95th Street and 36th Street, Brooklyn runs all night.)
- In Queens, take the M (or E local) instead of the R.
- Take the 7 for service between Queens and Manhattan.
- In Manhattan, use nearby stations on the 8th Avenue (A, E), 7th Avenue (1, 2) 6th Avenue (D, F, Q) and Lexington Avenue (4, 6) Lines.
- Take the 2, 4, D, F or Q between Manhattan and Brooklyn.
- N trains make local R stops between Jay Street-MetroTech and 36th Street.
During the first FASTRACK shutdown along the 96 year-old Broadway Line in January, hundreds of maintenance workers inspected signals and switches, repaired and replaced track rails and cross ties, performed elevator and escalator repair work, cleared track drains and corrected third rail defects. They were also able to replace tunnel lights, station lights, tactile warning tiles and repair platform edges.
FASTRACK was introduced in January 2012, devoting four straight weeknights to perform maintenance work in tunnels, stations and on tracks, completely suspending service within a given line segment for a seven-hour period between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. This gives free access to the system, allowing an army of maintenance workers to perform dozens of tasks without the concern of having to “clear up” to allow trains to pass.
The new FASTRACK corridors for 2013 include: the Broadway N, Q, R south of Queensboro Plaza to Court Street; the A line between 168th Street and 207th Street in Upper Manhattan, the D Concourse Line between 161st and 205th Street; and the Lexington Avenue 4, 5, and 6 local and express lines between Grand Central-42nd Street and 125th Street.
FASTRACK projects are also scheduled for the Sixth/Eighth Avenue Lines (A, B, C, D) between 59th Street-Columbus Circle and 168th Street-Broadway and 161st Street; the Fourth Avenue line (D, N, R) between 36th Street and 95th Street in Brooklyn and the 2 along Nostrand Avenue between Franklin and Flatbush Avenues.
These FASTRACK efforts have been designed around the careful determination that there is adequate alternate means of transportation, including enhanced services along some bus lines during work periods. Alternative transportation options will be detailed in announcements and posters on trains, in stations and on selected buses; brochures will be available in both English and Spanish. Information on this FASTRACK is available on the web at http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/fastrack_NQR.htm.
Our next FASTRACK overnight closure will be during the week of May 6 through 10 on the Fourth Avenue line in Brooklyn between 36th Street (D, N R) and Bay Ridge-95th Street (R).