Holy Angels Catholic Academy, 337 74th Street, was evacuated early Monday morning, December 21, after nearly two dozen people were sickened by fumes, according to the FDNY.
Officials say one adult and 18 children were transported to NYU Lutheran Medical Center out of caution when they said they felt sick from the smell. Once there, they were evaluated for what FDNY reps described as “respiratory distress” due to fumes they believe to be caused by cleaning supplies poured down a clogged drain.
All the children were said to have “minor” distresses while one adult’s condition was said to be serious.
Staff and students who awaited pick-up were moved over to Our Lady of Angels church, 7320 Fourth Avenue, at around 10 a.m.
The school serves students grades pre-k through eight.
Update: This paper has reached out to the FDNY concerning conflicting reports that the fumes were caused, instead, by a sewer gas leak. As of 2:23 p.m., reps had no reports of any gas leaks at the site.