62nd Precinct Police Beat: Man found with heroin after burglary attempt

Between Friday, May 6 and Sunday, May 8 the 62nd Precinct received reports of two grand larcenies, two burglaries and one felony assault. The 62nd Precinct serves Bensonhurst, Bath Beach and Gravesend.

$30,000 TRIP

A 45-year-old Asian man told police on Sunday, May 8 that while he was out of the country, someone applied for credit cards using his information and made purchases totaling approximately $30,000. The 45-year-old was away for about four months and discovered the charges upon checking his mail the day he got home.


According to police, a 21-year-old woman living near Bath Avenue and Bay 17th Street left $4,000 in a baby dresser before leaving for Atlantic City on Saturday, April 9. When the woman returned early the following morning at around 3 a.m., she saw no signs of a break-in at her house and a babysitter was watching her child. One month later, the 21-year-old discovered that the money was missing from the dresser. She suspects  the babysitter.


An unknown perp broke into a blocked-off site near West Seventh Street and Avenue U on Friday, May 6 and stole an assortment of construction tools. According to police, the perp broke in at around 4 p.m. and manually opened locked storage boxes that contained the construction equipment.


On Sunday, May 8 at around 3:10 a.m., a police officer responded to a burglary near Bath Avenue and Bay 34th Street and found a 31-year-old man attempting to flee the scene via a hole in a parking lot fence. The officer saw the man carrying something and began to chase him on foot.

Once the officer caught up to the perp, he found that he was carrying a hammer, a crowbar, a drill, pliers, gloves and a flashlight. Once at the precinct, cops searched the suspect and found that he was in possession of two glassine envelopes of heroin, marked with the word “coffee.”


A 28-year-old Hispanic man was taken to NYU Lutheran Medical Center on Friday, May 6 at around 4:45 a.m. after he was hit in the head with a baseball bat. According to cops, the 28-year-old had gotten into a fight with a 35-year-old man near 77th Street and New Utrecht Avenue. The 28-year-old suffered a cut to the head after the blow.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.