BY THOMAS NOCERA, HEATHER J. CHIN, AND ELIZABETH COLUCCIO
In the weeks following Hurricane Sandy, New York City has stepped up to the challenge of rebuilding and recovering, while still helping those who lost so much in the devastation. Recovery centers, food distribution sites and more have been initiated to aid people all over the city.
FOOD, HOUSING, AND HEALTH SERVICES
Four NYC Restoration Centers have been opened to provide various types of assistance, including food and nutrition assistance (including with SNAP), temporary housing information about workforce development and after school programs, health and medical benefits, emergency loan funds, FEMA information, financial assistance, and many more necessary services.
Restoration Centers are open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily. They are located at:
- Our Lady of Solace, at 2866 W. 19th Street in Coney Island,
- SSA Building at 10 Bouck Court in Gravesend, at 10-01 Beach 20th Street at Cornaga Avenue in Far Rockaway
- 1976 Hylan Boulevard in Staten Island
- For updates, visit http://www.nyc.gov/html/misc/html/2012/dasc.html.
PREPARED AND HOT FOOD
Prepared and hot food is being distributed by the city and volunteers at locations in Brooklyn, Staten Island and Queens, from 11 a.m. until dark.
Distribution centers are located at:
- MCU Park, at 1904 Surf Avenue in Coney Island,
- IKEA-Free Meal Coupon: Coffey Park, 85 Richards Street, Red Hook
- Fine Fare Supermarket (Parking Lot): 2901 Mermaid Avenue (@W29th), Coney Island
- Searise Houses (Parking Lot): Neptune Ave and 37th St, Coney Island
- Miller Field at the corner of Mill Road and New Dorp Lane in Staten Island,
- Waldbaum’s parking lot at 112-15 Beach Channel Drive, Rockaways,
- Thriftway Mall parking lot at 20-52 Mott Avenue between 20th and 21st Streets, Far Rockaway
- Key Food parking lot at 87-15 Rockaway Beach Boulevard between Beach 87th and 88th, Rockaways
- Beach 41st Community Center at Beach 40th Street and Beach Channel Drive in Queens
- Food will also be distributed in Long Island.
In Red Hook, Calvary Baptist Church at 773 Hicks Street is also a food distribution center, serving two hot meals a day thanks to efforts and donations from volunteers, local businesses, and the Red Hook Initiative.
Also, free food trucks sponsored by Mayor’s Fund and the NYC Food Truck Association will be giving out food from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. at several locations.
Brooklyn trucks are situated at:
- Gerritsen Beach Fire Department at Seba Avenue between Canton Court and Dare Court
- 2648 Gerritsen Avenue, Gerritsen Beach
- Coffey Park at 85 Richard Street in Red Hook
- Gravesend Houses, West 33rd St and Neptune Avenue, Sea Gate
- Holy Family Catholic Church, 9719 Flatlands Avenue, Canarsie
- 2828 Neptune Avenue in Coney Island
For updates, visit http://www.nyc.gov/html/misc/html/2012/hot_food.html.
The Brooklyn Sandy Relief Legal Clinic will be staffed by disaster relief-trained law students and volunteer attorneys, who will offer storm-related legal and application assistance in regards to insurance claims, FEMA applications and appeals, public assistance, and housing.
Walk-ins are welcome at Brooklyn Borough Hall, 209 Joralemon Street, Room 320, Brooklyn, NY 11201. For more information, call 718-802-3890 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Legal Clinic is open on Tuesdays from 1 to 4 p.m. and on Thursdays, from 9 a.m. to Noon.
Medical vans, “staffed with primary care providers who will be able to provide medical care and distribute commonly prescribed drugs” are located throughout the city as well.
In Brooklyn they are stationed at 5 locations:
- Calvary Baptist Church at 773 Hicks Street, Red Hook
- The Coney Island Gospel Assembly at 2828 Neptune Avenue,
- O’Dywers Garden at 2945 West 33rd Street, and West 19th and Mermaid Avenue, Coney Island.
In Staten Island there are two locations:
- Miller Filed on New Dorp Lane
- Midland Avenue and Kiswick Street, Midland Beach
In Queens there are 6 locations:
- Redfern Houses at 1462 Beach Channel Drive
- Thriftway Mall Parking Lot at 20-52 Mott Avenue (between 20th and 21st Streets)
- Key Food parking lot at 87-15 Rockaway Boulevard (between Beach 87th and Beach 88th)
- Hammel Playground at 220 Beach 85th Street
- St. Francis de Sales at 129-16 Rockaway Beach Boulevard
- Waldbaums parking lot at 112-15 Beach Channel Drive.
For more information visit www.nyc.gov/html/misc/html/2012/medical_vans.html.
VOLUNTEER AND DONATION OPPORTUNITIES
- Brooklyn Recovery Fund – www.brooklynrecoveryfund.org
- Occupy Sandy – interoccupy.net/occupysandy/volunteer/
- Red Hook Initiative – www.rhicenter.org
- Restore Red Hook – www.restoreredhook.org
- Congregation Beth Elohim – they provide food for the elderly and disabled evacuees at the Park Slope Armory
- Food Bank of New York – www.foodbanknyc.org
- City Harvest – www.cityharvest.org
- Clean Up Sheepshead Bay
- Breezy Point Cooperative – www.breezypointcoop.org/recovery/