A high temperature near 55 degrees is expected today, with lots of sun and some clouds throughout the day. There is a 20 percent chance of rain. Winds are heading northwest at 10 to 15 mph.. The sun will set at around 7:18 p.m. and the moon will rise at 10:15 p.m..
5 Things To Know this morning:
- The NYPD issued new social media rules for officers on personal accounts; bars them from participating in an official capacity. [NYDN; Crain’s]
- Between 91 and 97 percent of child-branded restaurant meals do not meet industry, nutrition, and health guidelines, reports the Center for Science in the Public Interest. Many also do not offer un-fried and lower-sugared options. [NYT; USA Today]
- Gowanus is gentrifying as “the Williamsburg of 10 years ago” (similar to how Williamsburg was once considered the Soho of 20+ years before that), say real estate brokers. Whole Foods and a controversial housing development planned adjacent to the polluted Gowanus Canal are just the newest signs, they say. [The Real Deal]
- Hundreds of children and their parents and teachers rallied outside City Hall yesterday to protest Mayor Bloomberg’s proposal for $130 million in cuts to after-school programs. Previous year’s budgets have seen the same battle, with differing levels of compromise. [NY1]
- The bankrupt American Airlines is one step closer to the go-ahead to merge with US Airways — a $11 billion deal that would create the world’s largest airline. The final hurdles are approval from the U.S. Department of Justice and US Airways shareholders. [Crain’s]