Today is National Night Out, a yearly event which is designed to heighten crime and drug prevention awareness, generate support for, and participation in, local anti-crime programs, strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships, and send a message to criminals, letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back. Events are held at each police precinct. Here are ones in Brooklyn:
- 68th Precinct: 6 p.m. at 79th Street and Shore Road in Bay Ridge
- 72nd Precinct: 4 p.m. at Greenwood Playground, at East 5th Street and Fort Hamilton Parkway, in Greenwood Heights/Sunset Park/Windsor Terrace
- 76th Precinct: 3-7 p.m. at Coffey Park in Red Hook, at Pioneer and Richards Streets
- 78th Precinct: 6 p.m. at Washington Park next to the Old Stone House, at Fifth Avenue and 3rd Street.
(Note: The regularly scheduled 6 p.m. performance by Rolie Polie Guacamole has been rescheduled to 4:30 pm. The Dancing Under the Stars performance by Sonido Costeno will begin at 7 p.m., as scheduled.)
- 84th Precinct: 5 p.m. at Borough Hall Plaza. It will feature the Gowanus Wildcats Drill Team, the 84th Precinct Explorer Scouts Precinct Officers, the Mounted Police, and the NYPD Auxiliary Band. There will also be a cookout and ice cream!
- 88th Precinct: 1-8 p.m. at Fort Greene Park, entrance at Dekalb Avenue and Washington Park
- 90th Precinct: 6-9 p.m. at P.S. 19 – 325 South 3rd Street
- 94th Precinct: 6-9 p.m. on Lorimer Street between Meserole Avenue and Calyer Street
Enjoy the rest of summer and this nice weather with upcoming events. Every day, we’ll give you a quick rundown of some great events – which are also available in our Events Calendar. If we missed something, feel free to post your own event.