Barclays Center is getting in on the food truck game with a pilot program that will bring some of the city’s most popular eats to their outdoor plaza for one Saturday a month.
Modeled after Prospect Park’s twice-monthly Food Truck Rally at Grand Army Plaza, the impending Barclays Center event will have only three rally dates — June 1, July 6, and September 7. The trucks will will be parked in and around Daily News Plaza from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and diners can eat at “bistro-style tables and chairs set up throughout the plaza.”
The goal, notes Barclays Community Affairs Manager Terence Kelly, is to see how the project goes and how the community takes it before a decision is made on potential future dates.
“New Yorkers love food trucks, and some of the best are from Brooklyn,” said MaryAnne Gilmartin, president and CEO of Forest City Ratner Companies. “We are thrilled to have these local favorites at the Daily News Plaza bringing Brooklyn residents and visitors some savory and sweet treats to enjoy.”
The food trucks are coming thanks to a partnership with the NYC Food Truck Association, whose president, David Weber, noted that “just like Barclays Center, food trucks know how to draw a crowd, and we can’t wait to serve Brooklyn on the plaza this summer.”
June 1’s scheduled truck lineup looks like this:
- Kimchi Taco Truck (@kimchitruck): Korean BBQ via traditional fresh kimchi bowls, plus street food classics such as tacos, burritos and the Tofu Edamame Falafel Taco.
- Treats Truck (@TheTreatsTruck): The 2008 Vendy Award winner will bring their popular treats, including caramel crème sandwich cookies, pecan butterscotch bars and ice cream cone cupcakes.
- Coolhaus Ice Cream Sandwiches (@CoolHausNY): Build-your-own ice cream sandwiches in creative flavors and cookies.
- Mamu Thai Noodle (@MamuThaiNoodle): From Pad Thai to boat noodles, this family-owned and operated truck brings Thailand street food to the masses.
- Frites’N’Meats (@FritesNMeats): Three words: Burgers and Frites. Have some, alongside soups and homemade desserts.
- Taim Mobile (@TaimMobile): Falafel and smoothies at Tel Aviv street food with a gourmet twist!