Summer keeps getting more and more fun.
Tomorrow (Friday, May 17) launches a brand new festival of music, theater, films, technology, sports, and more at MetroTech Commons. Dubbed Summer@MetroTech, the outdoor festival is designed to “reflect the passion and innovation of the MetroTech and Downtown Brooklyn communities,” said MaryAnne Gilmartin, president and CEO of Forest City Ratner Companies, which is sponsoring the festivities.
Kicking off the May-September celebration is a Rooftop Film, “Brothers Hypnotic,” at 8 p.m., with an introduction by filmmaker Reuben Atlas and a live performance by the brothers themselves and the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble.
Daily entertainment includes lunchtime sports broadcasts and music at Noon and in the evenings, while Summer@MetroTech highlights include:
- The BAM R&B Festival: In its 19th year, this year’s festival features its most exciting lineup ever, with an eclectic roster of legendary trailblazers and emerging musical visionaries of R&B and world music.
- World Science Festival’s Innovation Square: An unforgettable day of robots, interactive video games and high-tech installations in partnership with NYU-Poly, consistent with MetroTech’s focus on technology and innovation.
- Sports in the Commons: The summer’s hottest sporting events will be broadcast live on the big screen, full schedule to be announced soon.
- CityParks Putting Challenge: Test your skills against the best in Brooklyn, with funds going to support City ParksFoundation’s free junior golf program.
- BEAT Festival: The festival for emerging Brooklyn theater artists will bring a number of performances to the Commons in September.
- Bastille Day Celebration: MetroTech’s La Defense Bakery and Bistro hosts acelebration featuring Downtown Brooklyn’s own Petanque Tournament on professional-grade courts, plus food,live music, and fun for all!
For a full schedule of events and all the latest details and event updates, visit Downtown Brooklyn Partnership and follow @DowntownBklyn on Twitter using #summeratmetrotech.