The Photoville FENCE has been up all summer, but now the events, exhibits and more are finally here!
Last year’s double-weekend-long event was blessed with clear skies, great food trucks, friendly faces, and a broad line-up of over 40 exhibits, lectures and workshops housed in 30-plus repurposed shipping containers sitting along Brooklyn’s waterfront.
Sponsored by United Photo Industries, the 60,000 square-foot photo “village” at Pier 3’s uplands in Brooklyn Bridge Park served as a portal to other countries, peoples and worlds – while also highlighting the universality between each subject.
Come listen to new seminars and see new exhibits from around New York and the world!
Here’s today and tomorrow’s schedules. For the full event breakdown, visit: http://photovillenyc.org.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 20
In 1 Brooklyn Bridge Park
- Gates open at 4 p.m.
- 5:00pm – 5:45pm | Motivation, Marketing and Moxie, Taught by Charlie Grosso, Baang + Burne Contemporary. Presented by En Foco
- 5:50 – 6:50pm | Panel: Collecting Color Photography, Featuring WM Hunt, Nathan Benn and Emily Bierman (Sotheby’s) Moderated by Kristina Feliciano
- 7:00 – 7:50pm | Talk: Marvin Heiferman: Photography Changes Everything, Curator/writer Marvin Heiferman in conversation with Pete Brook about photography’s impact in our lives.
- 7-8 p.m. | MediaStorm will present a special multimedia screening where Brian Storm, founder and executive producer of the award-winning, Brooklyn-based multimedia production studio, will speak on digital storytelling and the cinematic narrative and how photographers, journalists and documentary filmmakers have incorporated new, digital methods to tell truly extraordinary stories.
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 21
Talks @ the One Brooklyn Bridge Park storefront
- 12:30 – 1:20pm | Artist Talk: Anais Lopez, Only in Burundi in conversation with Sam Barzilay
- 1:30 – 2:20pm | Artist Talk: Wayne Lawrence, Orchard Beach in conversation with Elisabeth Biondi, presented by INSTITUTE
- 2:30 – 3:30pm | Artist Talk: Gerard H. Gaskin, Legendary: Inside the House Ballroom Scene, in conversation with Jennifer Pritheeva Samuel of Visionaries and Edgar Rivera Colon PhD, Lecturer at Columbia University and Assistant Professor at Sarah Lawrence College, presented by Visionaries
- 3:40 – 4:40pm | Panel: Documenting Communities Impacted by Gun Violence, featuring photographers Justin Maxon and Alex Welsh in conversation with Dr. Fatima Hafiz-Walid and Andre Mitchell, presented by the Magnum Foundation
- 4:50 – 5:50pm | Artist Talk: Donald Weber, Interrogations, presented by Open Society Foundations in partnership with VII Photo Agency
- 6:00 – 7:00pm | Panel: Family Matters – Photography in Close Relation, featuring photographers Sarah Christianson, Henry Jacobson, Sara Macel and Katie Murray, in conversation with Taj Forer and Michael Itkoff of Daylight Books
Hands-On Workshops @ The Photoville Workshop Tent
- 11:30- 1:00pm | Great Portraits in 15 Seconds with David Graham. *Workshop participants’ photographs will be included in a portrait exhibition at Photoville curated by David in a Shipping Container!.
- 1:30- 2:30pm | Cyanotypes – Blue Photographic Prints from Sunlight, presented by the Center for Alternative Photography
- 2:00 – 3:00pm | Creative Manipulations with Impossible Film, presented by the Impossible Project
- 2:45- 3:45pm | Diana Dialogues, presented by Lomography
- 4:00 – 5:15pm | Perspectives in Documentary Photography, with Huascar Robles and Miguel Rosario
- 5:30 – 6:30pm | Impossible Instant Lab Demo, presented by the Impossible Project
- 6:45- 8:00pm | DIY Guide to Rock Photography, with Justina Villanueva