The quick thinking of an off-duty New York City firefighter and Marine Corps veteran may have saved the life of a man who overdosed in front of a Bay Ridge bar earlier this month.
According to fire department officials, on Sat., Jan. 5, units were called to an overdose at the corner of 73rd Street and Third Avenue – just outside Catch 22 – at around 11:19 p.m.
When paramedics arrived, they administered Narcan to the man and transported him to NYU Langone-Brooklyn, though, officials confirmed that at least one person had been rendering care to the victim prior to first responders’ arrival.
Although the FDNY press office could not name the Good Samaritan or Samaritans that aided the man, a witness told the Brooklyn Reporter that Bay Ridge resident Hugo Parada is to thank for the rescue.
According to the source, Parada — a friend of his — saw the man on the ground lifeless and “[sprang] into action.” He checked the man’s vitals and immediately began performing CPR, chest compressions and rescue breaths.
After a few minutes, the witness said, Parada was able to get a pulse back as well as shallow breathing, followed by the FDNY’s administering of Narcan and the victim’s transport to the local hospital.